Health & Safety Consultation
Employers have a duty to consult with their employees, or their representatives, on health and safety matters.
There are two ways how employees must be consulted in different situations and the different choices employers have to make. There are two different regulations that require employers to consult their workforce about health and safety:
- The Safety Representatives and Safety Committees Regulations
- The Health and Safety (Consultation with Employees) Regulations
These regulations will apply to most workplaces.
- In workplaces where the employer recognises trade unions and trade unions are recognised for collective bargaining purposes, the Safety Representatives and Safety Committees Regulations will apply.
- In workplaces where employees are not in a trade union and/or the employer does not recognise the trade union, or the trade union does not represent those employees not in the trade union, the Health and Safety (Consultation with Employees) Regulations will apply.
Epica Health, Safety & Wellbeing can help you set up a health and safety consultation program and attend such consultation meetings.
Health and safety consultation is the discussion of matters concerning the health and safety at work of your company employees and operations.
It draws upon the contributions of your managers and of employees through representation from each of the business areas in order to reinforce the joint commitment to continuous improvement in health and safety performance and to provide advice to each business areas.Â
Epica Health, Safety & Wellbeing, through your company health and safety consultation, will help you:
- Promote health, safety and environmental awareness amongst employees.
- Share and advise upon best practice and increase the understanding of health, safety and environmental issues.
- Consider health, safety and environmental management information produced regularly within the business in order to identify trends and potential areas for intervention.
- Discuss the most effective means of communicating and implementing initiatives throughout the business.