Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Assessments
Substances used by a company cannot present an unacceptable risk to employees. They should identify reasonable methods by which unavoidable exposures can be controlled.
Epica Health & Safety undertake COSHH Assessments by including your team. We start by gathering information about the substances used, activities carried out and the associated working practices. We then; evaluate the risks to health, prevent or control exposure, record the assessment, and review the assessment as required.
We will ensure that current copies of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all substances are obtained. We then liaise with you to ensure we have a full substance register believed to be in use. Using this information and Health and Safety Executive (HSE) publication EH40 we undertake the assessment.
Specific control measures will be developed including what specific personal protective equipment is required when using the substance.
The COSHH Assessments will help to:
- Eliminate or reduce the volume of substances in use
- Identify control measures for working with hazardous substances
- Identify requirements for emergencies and accidental exposures and spillages
- Provide information to employees relating to the substances they are expected to use
- Demonstrate to clients that substances brought on to their premises are being controlled and used in a way that contributes to a safe system of work or method statement
- Demonstrate to enforcing authorities your company’s commitment
The aim is to provide employees with the knowledge and information required to prevent harm from exposure to hazardous substances. Employees should be able to identify hazardous substances and assess the risks from exposure, prevent or reduce the risk of harm, control risks from storing, using and disposing of hazardous substances and select and use the most appropriate personal protection for the task.
View the full details on our e-learning training courses or class based health & safety training courses on offer
The aim is to make sure that all premises are assessed and managed to ensure they can remain fully operational. Inspections and testing include for the safe operation of plant and systems to ensure they are effectively removing hazards from the workplace.