Young Person Assessments
When employing a young person under the age of 18, whether for work,Â work experience, or as an apprentice, employers have the same responsibilities for their health, safety and welfare as they do for other employees.
Employers should already be managing any health and safety risks in their workplaces, and should assess whether or not they need to do anything additional for a young person joining them.
If employing a young person for the first time, or employing one with needs, an employer will need to review their risk assessment, taking into account theÂ specific factorsÂ for young people before they start. This should be straightforward in a low-risk business, for example an office with everyday risks that will mostly be familiar to the young person.
For work in higher-risk environments, eg construction, agriculture or manufacturing or work involving exposure to toxic substances or extreme temperatures, the risks are likely to be greater and will need more careful attention to ensure they are properly controlled. If a workplace contains these hazards, employers should already have control measures in place.
Epica Health, Safety & Wellbeing will help your management team develop such young person risk assessment and ensure they consider some key factors including ensuring the yung person is ot exposed to:
- lack of experience
- being unaware of existing or potential risks and/or
- lack of maturity
The young person risk assessment will consider and apply appropriate control measures for:
- the layout of the workplace
- the physical, biological and chemical agents they will be exposed to
- how they will handle work equipment
- how the work and processes are organised
- the extent of health and safety training needed
- risks from agents, processes and work
We will help you team develop arrangements for young people at work including induction, supervision, site familiarisation and provision of any protective equipment needed.
The aim is to provide all employees with essential knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace for all employees.
- Classroom â€“ Principles of Risk Assessment
- Classroom â€“ Managing Safely
- Classroom â€“ Health & Safety in the Workplace
- E Learning â€“ Health & Safety for Managers