Falls from Height
The purpose of The Work at Height Regulations is to prevent death and injury caused by a fall from height. If you are an employer or you control work at height the regulations apply to you.
Epica Health, Safety & Wellbeing can help employers and those in control of any work at height activity make sure work at height is properly planned, supervised and carried out by competent people. This includes advising on the right type of equipment for working at height.
Epica Health, Safety & Wellbeing will help you and your team consider how to avoid work at height where it is reasonably practicable to do so. However, where work at height cannot be easily avoided, prevent falls using either an existing place of work that is already safe or by minimising the distance and consequences of a fall, by using the right type of equipment where the risk cannot be eliminated.
Employers and those in control of work at height must first assess the risks.
A work at height risk assessment will:
- Do as much work as possible from the ground
- Ensure workers can get safely to and from where they work at height
- Ensure equipment is suitable, stable and strong enough for the job, maintained and checked regularly
- Not overload or overreach when working at height
- Take precautions when working on or near fragile surfaces
- Provide protection from falling objects
- Consider emergency evacuation and rescue procedures
The aim is to provide supervisors and employees with fundamental knowledge and understanding required to prevent harm. Training provides employees with an understanding of health, safety, welfare and environmental issues, as well as their legal responsibilities relevant to their work at height activities. This will help you to protect your staff and business, as well as comply with the law.